Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Little brother musings

A year ago, my teenage brother created his first Gmail account and tried convincing the sisterhood that we should call him ‘Diesel’. Why? No clue. But for all intensive hilarity, consider my brother’s official name to be Diesel.

To honor Diesel’s 15th birthday today, 10 reasons why my baby brother kicks butt.

(You thought I was going to give 15 reasons, didn't you?

1. He wanted to be known as Diesel. ‘Nuff said.

2. The suggestion of ‘Diesel’ prompted us to bestow a slew of other nicknames, including Dog Tags and Shrew. I'll skip the back stories and just go with 'yesssssssssss'.

3. He has the best heart. Like, on Earth. The sisterhood was brutal on D, and history would show that he should be a big bully. But seriously, this kid wouldn’t hurt a fruit fly. Example:  he’s a 6’3” 15-year-old that gets picked on by a teenage turd half his size, and Diesel still befriends him. I wish I was like that. And I can't forget to mention the phone calls I get every two weeks from D asking when I'll be home next because he misses me. Heart.breaker.

4. Titanic love. I thought I had an affinity for all Titanic-related things, but Diesel takes the crown. Give him a book title containing ‘Titanic’, I guarantee he’s already read it.  

5. One-man show. My brother is and always will be an entertainer, and even though he gets carried away quite often, he’s still a riot.

D (on the right), and his floating-head, mysterious-hand sister. 
6. Like grandfather, like grandson. Diesel has this enthralling connection with our grandpa, and no one really understands it. Inside jokes, conversation topics and key words ("fellowship") are the base. Don’t try to jump into their conversations when it’s really going – you’ll likely be ignored. It’s not you; it’s them.

7. Brainiac. Big-time history/spelling-bee nerd, and I couldn't be prouder. 


8. Brothers (in-law). D has always really admired E, and I get all sentimental and stuff thinking about it. I just really love that my husband and brother have the relationship they do.

9. HP for LIFE. I've talked before about my Harry Potter obsession, and it's only gotten worse since. Probably because I introduced Diesel the world that I unashamedly wish we lived in, and every time he visits, we watch as many of the films possible. Victory.

10. Because every sister needs a brother. Especially if you're older. Girls always feel like older brothers are worse on the over-protective scale than parents. But it's also true (I think) if it's vice versa. I'm always asking D who he's texting, what girl he's "dating," how fast he drives, how many bags of Doritos he's eaten this week or if he's drinking enough water. So all you 16-year-old cougars out there thinking about finding out what D has to offer, don't. Because I will be all over that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment