Saturday, August 11, 2012

Couldn't say it better myself.

I'm gonna get serious for a few minutes.

In my seven months of marriage, there has been one thing that really irks me. It's not that my hubs leaves his socks anywhere he pleases, and it's not that our bathroom sink is in a constant loop of repair.

It's the judgement I feel radiating from people when they figure out that yes, I am 22 years old AND married. And to those close enough for me to share this with, they are FL-OOR-ED when I tell them that both E and I waited until marriage to have sex, and to live together. I know we're "crazy", but we like knowing that we are the first and only people we'll ever be with.

...I could write about these things forever. It's sooooo annoying, and it happens way too often. Is 25 the age when you can "actually" have and know that feeling? Why do people think we're idiots for letting our faith, not our carnal desires, guide our relationship?

I've been wanting to express my thoughts on this for a really long time. I've tried writing open letters for publications or articles on why we did things the traditional way, but every time, I get lost in my frustration of why I actually feel led to write about this.

And then I found this article. While it doesn't touch on every bullet I use when explaining why getting married at this point in my life works for me, it hits on the one I get the most flack for - marrying young. I couldn't address this topic better myself.

I still hope to write something about why I was a 22-year-old virgin who never lived with my husband at our wedding. I'll let you know when it happens.

2 comments:

  1. the way you live your life in the timing that is right for you is what makes me really proud to call you my friend. as one of those on the opposite ends of the marriage spectrum (22 and nowhere near it as of today!) i still so appreciate whatchu go goin' on. keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    This is fantastic. I feel the judgement for couples like and Eric and you as I stand up in their weddings and pledge my support to them through friendship... people around me sometimes don't get why my friends are, 'getting married so young.' Thanks for this. I can't wait to read what you end up sharing with the world on this topic. : )

    ReplyDelete