Thursday, August 2, 2012

A simple marriage lesson

My husband and I are insanely different. Computer programmer who claims he is allergic to the sun. Communication fanatic that miserably sweats poolside for hopes that swimsuit lines will become a little more distinct.

We're different. Which brings a unique challenge to our marriage.

Since we spend a majority of our time together, we've had to work extra hard at finding things we both like to do. I know I'm crazy, but E spending his time being a genius in our office while I watch TV all night long is not my exact picture of bliss.

Enter, the brilliance of Starbucks dates.

A month or two ago, we started this thing where, every Thursday, after work, we go to Starbucks as a way to wind down from the week and prepare for the weekend. Sometimes, we bring our computers and work on things (like this blog post), other times, we sip our frappuccinos and laugh at each other for being ridiculous.

We learned in marriage counseling that having a designated date night or activity you do each week does great things for the relationship. I'm here to tell you with my words that it really does. I love looking forward to my Starbucks date with E, even if we're a little ticked at each other. If we have something that needs to be worked out, it's a neutral spot. And if we're really feelin' the love that day, we gaze into each other's eyes, hold hands and make everyone else throw up in their mouths with how in love we are. (So much fun.)

For all my married/dating friends, and for those feeling like a specific friend is missing from their life, schedule something like this. A walk around the neighborhood. Ice cream runs. Something where your attention is directed to the person you're spending time with. Give that relationship the priority it needs by designating and dedicating time each week to that person. It works wonders.



My smarty-pants love, hard at work.



Such a hipster, with his side-part and v-neck. And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment