Friday, March 2, 2012

Oh, the places you'll go.

Hopefully that title brings back great memories of this book - it's definitely a must-read/must-own/must-keep-forever.

Theodor Seuss Geisel, courtesy of rocketboom.com
I think he would have been pleased with my picture selection.
Today is Dr. Seuss's would-be 108th birthday, and for someone whose books we've all grown up read and love, I had to find some way give him the proper dedication. (If only I still had my Cat in the Hat hat.) What I'd like to do is share the entire book on my blog (because it really is that good), but I'm pretty sure that's illegal. So, here's one of my favorite excerpts.

But on you will go
though the weather be foul.
On you will go
though your enemies prowl.
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl.
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike,
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.

You'll get mixed up, of course,
as you already know.
You'll get mixed up 
with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's 
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

We do lots of things because we can, and many things we do because we're told we can't. There are a lot of times where we feel we've got the whole world behind us, and probably more where we feel left behind. The secret and beauty is that success is never out of question and always within reach. 

How does this apply to marriage exactly? Too many ways for me to fit on this blog. But, if you're looking for one, I did tell E that I will use our future kids as an excuse to go on a Dr. Seuss binge. He's cool with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment