Tuesday, January 24, 2012

When you get married, don't count on your parents to always back you up.

Because they won't.

Until we were married, whenever Eric and I had little tiffs, my parents would usually side with me, except in the rare circumstance where I was being completely irrational, which is never. Please take notice that I said things were this way until Eric and I were married, and here's the evidence.

Keeping to our nature of making big life changes in a whirlwind of events, Eric and I were planning to move shortly after we arrived home from our honeymoon in Mexico. Now, shortly for me in that case was defined by two or more full days resting in the quiet nothingness of my South Dakotan farm. However, for my husband, it meant approximately 30 hours. Ex-squeeze me? 

*Note:  Eric wasn't wanting to ditch his in-laws. He wanted to get to our apartment because he was waiting for a transcript that had to be turned into his new job by the end of the week. The transcript was being delivered to our new home.

As you may predict, in my plight to relax at home and recover from a nasty cold for a few days, I battled (figuratively, of course) my husband, pleading to stay for another 24 hours. And in my attempts to crush the enemy (again, figuratively), I went to the Veurink king and queen asking them to persuade my beloved (who was also the enemy in this short disagreement). I begged for their reassurance that I wasn't being unreasonable.

But apparently, I was. Instead of comforting me with their usual words of siding with me, the royal parents did no such thing. Instead, they told me that I was on my own now, which translates to, "He's your husband, so you're on your own." Grrrrr...

Obviously, Eric and I worked things out (a.k.a. I caved), and we were happily moving into our new home within 48 hours of returning to our beloved country. Lesson learned:  unless it's the important, life-changing, future-altering decisions, parents are most likely going to tell you to deal with spousal issues alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment