Friday, December 21, 2012

Airport dates



I'm sitting in a leather chair next to Eric, waiting to fly out to Chicago. We've been here for a few hours waiting for a flight that was supposed to take off 45 minutes ago...before it was delayed to the same time that we should have been landing in Chicago.

Typically, this situation would piss me off. I don't like traveling - not to be read as I don't like places. I like places, I hate getting there.

Maybe it's the Christmas season or the Starbucks finally kicking in, but I'm shockingly okay with this.

Eric and I have been really busy lately, and it's been a busy that has resulted in us spending Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights separate. We're definitely thankful that our schedules have been picking up and that we're enjoying all we've got going on, but honestly, by the time Thursday and Friday roll around, we're super tired from the first half of the week and we don't really think about putting energy into spending some quality time together. And looking into the new year, it's only going to get busier.

Quality time together in a marriage, even without kids, is harder than it sounds. This is something we've talked a few times about recently, and something we're both working towards. For us, it means eating more meals together, even if it's grilled cheese before I head to volleyball. It means talking in bed until neither of us can form coherent words. It means using commercial breaks to give Eric hugs and kisses while he programs and I watch The Mindy Project.

So tonight, I'm actually a little thankful for the extra time we've spent in the Kansas City International Airport. It's quieter here than usual, and we've caught up on things - devising a plan to buy black tights because I forgot mine in the dryer, finding a slip cover for our couch, why sleeping with our down comforter is a blessing (it's super warm and fluffy) and a curse (it's super warm).

Cheers to taking advantage of unexpected time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment