Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Text message musings, part 2.

Backstory: E found an awesome website that sells super nice watches at crazy low prices, and like we always do when we want something, I had an email waiting for me. Actually, there were two, and the second said, “A possible gift idea. I decided that I am not going to buy it for myself.”

He’s sneaky with hints like that.

Here’s our conversation about said watch.
...............
Me, 8:16 AM: “Don’t forget to buy soccer tickets.”

E, 9:11 AM: “Got them. Check email plz.”

Me, 9:16 AM: “I did. It’s a nice watch, but a) the last gift I gave you was a watch, and b) you told me I couldn’t spend more than $25 on a birthday gift for you.”

E, 9:29 AM: “That is true. Maybe I should buy it for myself. Tell me what to do.”

[Notice that I pass the chance to really turn the tables here.]

Me, 9:32 AM: “I really don’t know. You have 3 watches. Can you see yourself wearing 4 on a consistent enough basis to justify buying this one.”

E, 9:36 AM: “No. But this one is a lot better quality and a great deal.”

[Pfft. The quality comment = so not true for the Skagen watch I gifted him for Christmas.]

Me, 9:39 AM: “It sounds like you want me to tell you if there is a reason that you shouldn’t buy it instead of helping you make a decision.”

E, 10:02 AM: “Just tell me what to do.”

[Again, I take the high road. I'm more and more saint-like with every text.]

Me, 10:03 AM: “Honestly, whatever you want. I’m not going to be mad if you buy it, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

E, 10:18 AM: “But do you want me to buy it?

[About to unleash some wisdom]

Me, 10:20 AM: “I think you have enough watches, but me having enough clothes doesn’t mean I don’t want more. That’s how I can best sum up my feelings.”

E, 10:29 AM: “This is my last purchase for a long time. Hold me to it.”

[…‘unless it’s for me’, I think]

Me, 10:32 AM: “Deal.”

[3 minutes later]

E, 10:35 AM: “I decided not to get it.”

Me, 10:35 AM: “Why?”

E, 10:42 AM: “I couldn’t find reviews online.”

Me, 10:42 AM: “I love you.”
.............
Is it weird that I share this? Is it stupid I found this exchange funny? Am I boring? 

No comments:

Post a Comment