Sunday, April 8, 2012

We're not art people.

Our first First Friday.
We’ve tried really hard to be. Not like, let-me-give-you-a-not-so-brief-history-of- Michelangelo people, but general appreciators. And I think we’re kind of failing.

On Friday, we checked out this great Kansas City thing called “First Friday” – it happens on the first Friday of every month. It’s basically a ton of art galleries opening their doors (some with free wine!) to the general public, and lots people walk through the galleries and socialize in KC’s Crossroads district.

Here's my evaluation. Walking around KC on a gorgeous evening, in my favorite maxi dress, holding hands with my husband? Awesome. Trying to understand and love super abstract art in cool, hipster galleries? More difficult than I thought.

I don’t know why I try force this insane love for art on myself. My taste for art is pretty much limited to home decor, and I'm having a tough time expanding my horizons. I know art is great because not everyone has to have the same interpretation, but when I think back to Friday’s experience, I don’t remember interpreting anything. I remember a super anti-Christian exhibit, and then it all blurs together.

Today’s conclusion:  art’s not really our thing, so we’ll treat it more like a coworker – if we understand what it’s saying, we’ll engage. Otherwise, we’ll just smile politely…and try to avoid awkward eye contact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment